From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] new profile layout with flavors and mix-ins
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 14:56:30
1 Am Mittwoch 02 Juli 2014, 15:07:12 schrieb Anthony G. Basile:
4 > I don't know how to get from here to there. The problem isn't just
5 > constructing an alternative profile tree. We could even have
6 > /usr/portage/profiles-r2 and switch between the two on demand. The
7 > problem is there's a lot of memory with flags and masks and these only
8 > make sense in the context of the current stacking profiles.
9 > Disentangling this information and bringing it over to profiles-r2 is
10 > going to be work.
11
12 Crazy idea:
13 * introduce a change that makes portage look at a new filename for
14 inheritance, i.e. existing "parent" files are disregarded and a new filename
15 is introduced ("inherits" ?)
16 * in most dirs that file will not exist -> no inheritance
17 * new profile specs will have new main directories that pull in the resulting
18 flat structure piece by piece
19
20 This means that existing files can (carefully) be re-used in the transition.
23 Andreas K. Huettel
24 Gentoo Linux developer
25 kde, council