From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] busybox prep
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:47:43
1 On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 22:46 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > could people update and try out busybox-1.00-r4 ? i finally stopped being
3 > lazy and ported all the utils from upstream busybox into 1.00-r4 ...
4 >
5 > once you emerge it, you'll be left with /bin/bb which is now your fun rescue
6 > shell ... simply execute `bb` and you're all set to go !
7
8 I find it a little strange that you implemented bb to call ash_main. Was
9 the reason for this due to being unable to pass parms to the linux
10 kernel init command line? init="/bin/bb sh" ?
11 /bin/bb on uClinux for example is /bin/busybox but renamed. Seems
12 logical to me to stick with the same logic.
13
14 You ripped out syslogd/udhcpd/login/logger/httpd/watchdog (this makes my
15 life harder then need be. Infact I want to cry)
16 Please don't say USE=savedconfig.. I know it exists. I wrote it for
17 other ppl to use an option to get a slimmed down. Not myself.
18
19 > for a list of commands implemented, just run `busybox`
20
21 Strange again.. More so if your libc is whats screwed and your trying to
22 recover that. Only way a user is to know what applets are there is by
23 running /bin/busybox from the command line before the system got
24 screwed. Granted anything they will call while in the asm_main if it
25 exists it will call it unless they
26
27 Sorry but I do not like what this bb change would do to the default
28 deployment of busybox and would prefer to keep the default closer to
29 what allsysconfig is supposed todo.
30
31 -crond (key)
32 -crontab
33 -dc
34 -dpkg
35 -dumpleases (kinda key if you use udhcpd)
36 -fold
37 -ftpget
38 -ftpput
39 -httpd (key)