From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:49:17
1 Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Uhm... Sorry to see this issue brought up yet again. Just a couple of
3 > brief notes:
4 >
5 > - The in-kernel drivers seriously are not an equivalent alternative, let
6 > alone the preferred one, for stuff like hda-intel or any similar drivers
7 > that are under permanent heavy development, at least for now.
8 >
9 > - This is not a duplicated maintenance effort, it's simply needed to
10 > have external alsa-drivers ebuilds, and it's needed to have them
11 > supported as ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers.
12 >
13 > - The two are basically different branches, and it's *not* about whether
14 > the code is newer or older in one or the other at all.
17 I completely disagree with your assessment of the in-kernel hda-intel
18 state. My workstation uses one of those (labelled nVidia MCP 55, for the
19 curious), and my experiences with in-kernel ALSA have been nothing but
20 positive with the intel audio, whether compiled or as modules.
21
22 For the record, the kernel and alsa team have gone back and forth on
23 this for a long time -- and it's always been my task to update the ALSA
24 guide for whichever "wins", or at least that's how it's been lately. The
25 thing about ALSA upstream not accepting certain bugs -- I'm not sure
26 Diego ever mentioned any such thing; is this really true?
27
28 At the very least, this should cut down on spurious bug reports on our
29 own bugzilla. However, it'd be nice from the point of view of the GDP if
30 the kernel and ALSA maintainers would decide, once and for all, what
31 should be supported and what shouldn't, whether in-kernel or
32 alsa-drivers is recommended. Because it's been going back and forth for
33 years as to which gets priority in the docs. Pick something for the
34 users to install and stick with it, please.