From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Happy 10th birthday (in advance)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:14:43
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > (or hand me powers to remove people from ML :-)
5 That sounds like a great idea. We could create a code of conduct, and
6 then designate individuals to enforce it. Maybe we should call them
7 proctors:
8 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml
9
10 What could go wrong?
11
12 Seriously though, this debate like many others recently probably
13 shouldn't be viewed as for-Gentoo and against-Gentoo. Lots of people
14 care about Gentoo, we just don't always agree on what is best. In
15 this case the issue is pragmatism vs idealism, and both have their
16 place.
17
18 What is important is that we go ahead and share our views, debate
19 points within reason, don't obsess over getting in the last word, and
20 then work together to support the decisions that get made.
21
22 My two cents in this debate is that I'm willing to accept Ciaran's
23 suggestion that Portage 2.2's approach has its limitations, but it is
24 the best thing we have implemented now, and thus I'll take the 98%
25 solution over the 20% solution (which is what we get if all we do is
26 argue over how to get to 100%(. If somebody wants to write the code
27 to get us from 98->100%, I'm sure we'll all be for it.
28
29 Rich