From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] wget abuse of sources.g.o must stop
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:16:44
1 I was tracing into why sources.gentoo.org is so slow at times, and
2 gives errors, timeouts etc. I found that there is wget being used
3 against the site, with a lot of rapid-fire requests for the *checkout*
4 URLs - most often for entire directories. And very often, right when
5 wget is being used, the sources.g.o performance sucks badly.
6
7 The wget requests account for 25-30% of the daily requests to
8 sources.gentoo.org. It's meant for browsing, not pulling.
9
10 If you are pulling multiple files, or some file on a regular basis, you
11 should be using the anoncvs/anonsvn systems instead.
12
13 export ANON=":pserver:anonymous@××××××××××××××.org:/var/cvsroot"
14 Listing the files for a package:
15 # cvs -z0 -d $ANON rls gentoo-x86/$CAT/$PN/
16
17 Grabbing an entire package:
18 # T=`mktemp -d`
19 # cvs -z0 -d $ANON co -d $T gentoo-x86/$CAT/$PN
20
21 Grabbing a single file, without a temp:
22 # cvs -z0 -d $ANON co -p gentoo-x86/$CAT/$PN/$FILENAME >$OUTPUTFILE
23
24 Pursuant to the above, the any useragent matching /^Wget/ will be
25 blocked from the 'gentoo' and 'gentoo-x86' repos of sources.gentoo.org
26 as of July 14th.
27
28 Either change to using the proper anonymous service, or change your
29 useragent to describe what you are doing with the service, so that I can
30 specifically ban your user-agent if it's causing too much load.
33 Robin Hugh Johnson
34 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
35 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
36 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85