From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:32:49
1 On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 01:35:58AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 15:25 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 07:49:34PM +0200, Michiel de Bruijne wrote:
4 > > > I.o.w. is it still necessary to have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" as a
5 > > > default or can we move to a pure udev system and change the default to
6 > > > "no".
7 > >
8 > > I've been running my boxes successfully with "no" since the option
9 > > showed up just fine :)
12 > I think people is under a misconception about this option and ... you
13 > really only need to enable this for a driver that is not sysfs aware
14 > (nvidia comes to mind - any others?), or if you have some custom nodes
15 > in /dev that you cannot do via udev ... And I am pretty sure (correct
16 > me if I am wrong) that all (or most?) in-kernel drivers are sysfs aware,
17 > and only a handful outside are not.
18
19 Only think in-kernel that I know of that do not work with udev is isdn.
20 Supposidly those developers are working on it...
21
22 As for nvidia, they will not be supporting udev due to licensing issues
23 with their kernel code. I've worked with their developers and they have
24 switched back to the way that vmware does it, their startup scripts just
25 manually creates the device nodes, which works just fine with udev.
26
27 So yes, I don't think that anyone (unless you have isdn), needs this
28 option.
29
30 thanks,
31