From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] "frozen" overlay Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:54:06
1 On 02/01/2013 09:21 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Vaeth
3 > <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> # Upstream is dead and gone.
6 >>>> # Masked for removal on 20130302
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> Erm, so this is the _only_ reason - dead upstream?
10 >>
11 > If folks do not want to maintain it anymore, then it will be removed.
12 > Feel free to contribute to Gentoo and maintain the packages.
13
14 Hereby done, becoming a dev is a big step for just one package a user
15 would keep.
16
17 Ihmo, what you call "upstream dead" is a kind of positive situation.
18
19 If the author has no longer time to contribute (we all have a real life)
20 then it's ok, no need to wipe his contribution from the face of the world.
21
22 If the software is just working as the author intendend, and it has no
23 major bugs, then there's no need to do further trivial releases just to
24 keep the disto maintainers busy.
25
26 If it's broken, uncompatible and nobody steps up, drop it, agreed.
29 >> You are destroying the charme of gentoo by systematically
30 >> removing all these little tools and toys. The availability
31 >> of a lot of software was once a strength of gentoo, so removing
32 >> these things is really bad, especially if it happens for no
33 >> real reason.
34
35 We need to maintain a certain quality. Sheer mass does has no charm, if
36 nothing works. But I'd rather like to see gentoo as a broad selection of
37 tools, that build. maybe some really cool stuff nobody else has.
38
39 > Gentoo is not a software archival service.
40 >> I was understanding if e.g. someting was removed which needs
41 >> the <gtk-2 or <qt-4 framework or something similar and had
42 >> a dead upstream. But just needing a small tool like imake (xboing)
43 >> or having open feature requestes (epm) or even nothing and
44 >> just dead upstream is IMHO really not a reason.
45 >>
46 >> If something really does not compile anymore and nobody cares,
47 >> then remove keywords (or, for god's sake, mask it);
48 >> if something might theoretically become a security issue (xpdf)
49 >> then it should be masked.
50 >>
51 >> But please do not throw things out of the tree unless
52 >> really necessary:
53 >>
54 >> It does not hurt anybody to have such package in the tree,
55 >> but removing it - especially if upstream is dead - means
56 >> that the tarbalös will be removed from the mirrors and thus
57 >> nobody is able anymore to install it (even if he would care and
58 >> fix some minor issues) unless he had kept a copy on
59 >> his local machine (which will mean in the future that he can only
60 >> do it if he had used gentoo already many years ago and cared
61 >> during the time of the removal).
62 >
63 > Again I highly recommend archiving the software yourself; but I don't
64 > think Gentoo should be doing it.
65
66 It costs resources:
67 - distfiles and all their mirrors accumulate
68 - emerge dependency calculation
69
70 If it's out-waged by increasing disc capacity and processor power is up
71 to discussion.
72
73 Last but not least, we have gattered some extra info besides the
74 tarballs, our precious ebuild scripts. Which is why I started my
75 involvement with Gentoo (maybe somebody should have told me about BSDs
76 tree before that).
77
78 As Martin said, tarballs get lost. I steal them from debian mirror on a
79 regular basis, maybe we should contribute ourselves.
80
81 PROPOSAL
82
83 Let's create an overlay "frozen stuff" which contains all the
84 software no longer developed with following features:
85
86 Users showed interest in having them
87
88 Web-presence to be picked up on Google search.
89 (viewvc.cgi show dead is kinda hidden [1])
90
91 Separate distfile mirror
92 no need to stress our mirror peers
93 make it a sepearate repo,
94 feed by upstream and mirror://gentoo
95 I can contribute the space/bandwith.
96
97 Feedback/Bugs/Voting can be handled inside b.g.o
98 no need for extra login,
99 frozen-bugs can be auto-generated,
100 whitelist [frozen]
101 just like the sunrise tracker bugs.
102
103 BENEFIT
104
105 User can choose whether or not layman -a frozen.
106
107 Non-trivial ebuilds are preserved.
108
109 Tarballs are preserved.