From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 17:23:41
1 On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:04:17 +0000 (UTC), Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
2 wrote:
3 > Ben de Groot posted on Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:28:24 +0100 as excerpted:
4 >
5 >> On 4 March 2010 08:08, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> Your logic is very thin here. By that same line of reasoning, neither
7 >>> are the gtk or qt flags, since you don't need 'em if you're building,
8 >>> say, a *box desktop.
9 >>
10 >> Toolkits are more directly useful to a desktop than printing.
11 >>
12 >>> Printing is something I'd argue is part of a desktop environment.
13 >>
14 >> And I'd argue it isn't necessarily so.
15 >
16 > Indeed. Some (many?) of us use printing uncommonly enough that it's
17 > cheaper to put it on a thumb drive and take it to a printer than buy a
18 > printer -- and pay for another $10-30 ink cartridge every time we want
20 > print something, because the last one dried up between uses. (I keep
21 > thinking I'll buy a laser printer, but never seem to get around to doing
22
23 > the research on best supported, etc, and always seem to have other
24 things
25 > to spend the money on. Besides, the tech keeps getting better, so a bit
26
27 > of delay isn't hurting... which I've been saying for years now. How
28 many
29 > are in a similar position?)
30
31 Similarly, I have never *owned* a printer because work or school always
32 has had free printing. So, my opinion is that the Gentoo default of
33 USE=cups in desktop profiles is bogus for *my* Gentoo desktops. But, I'm
34 not a desktop profile consumer anyway because they are sub-optimal, imo. ;)
35
36 -Jeremy