From: derosa <derosa@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bootable RC6 Preview?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:43:00
1 > > Looking over the kernel changelogs, it appears that 2.4.8 and on solve
2 > > these known issues (at least there were patches applied, and no new
3 > > patches to fix the previous patches).
4
5 2.4.8 would be cool if it can be squeezed into rc6 !
6
7 Also, is it possible to get support for the Dell aacraid controller patched
8 into the rc 6 kernel ?? The driver patches are available from
9 http://domsch.com/linux/aacraid/ for all kernels up to 2.4.8 I have been
10 unable as yet to do an install from scratch, the best I have been able to do
11 is install Mandrake, and then manually install the sys tarball to a new
12 partition etc.
15 > Note: cvs.gentoo.org has a VIA KT133 (686b) chipset and doesn't have any
16 > ReiserFS corruption problems. So does my development box. cvs.gentoo.org
17 > is using kernel 2.4.4-ac9 and my dev box is using 2.4.6 currently. You
18 may
19 > try turning off DMA to see if that helps.
20
21 My system is the VIA KT133 686b on a dual processor motherboard, and I had
22 loads of problems until 2.4.6, I currently use a 2.4.7 with alsa, and
23 lm_sensors manually added in. The key for me, was to set the system to
24 MPS1.2, turn off plug and play in the bios, upgrade to bios rev 10 (from
25 asus) and turn off dma on the IDE chipset. I still had some sluggishness
26 issues on IDE io, so I move linux to a couple of 'spare' scsi partitions,
27 where rc5 now SCREAMS. I still boot off the IDE using VIA, and my swap
28 partition is there along with a junk drive and I have had no corruption
29 issues with reiserfs which is the only fs I have been using.
30
31 Joe