From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibPNG Problems :(
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:46:01
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:08:10 +0000
3 "Eugenia Loli-Queru" <eloli@×××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > Sorry, this solution is NOT acceptable. This pretty much says that I
6 > have rebuild most of my graphics apps, and possibly X (which I
7 > recompiled it just yesterday anyway during my upgrade to 1.1a). This
8 > is just WAY too time consuming, and, simply put, it doesn't worth the
9 > trouble. I would expect Gentoo LLC to find a better solutions for its
10 > users, especially if this error was not a user error, but the
11 > maintener's. Asking poor cpu cycle users to recompile everything, it
12 > is just not so good, don't you think?
16 'xcuse me for a moment while I grep my system..... Nope, X does -not-
17 link libpng at any point.
18
19 So, where did you get this notion from?
20
21 Second, if you check your lib's first, and get a listing, you'll note
22 that it is four or five different libraries that need upgrading. -then-
23 check your binaries. dont let the complete listing of things that link
24 to a general graphics library and then to libpng fool you.
25
26 Second, this issue seems to be sadly out of our control, there are two
27 ways you can go around it though, both have been introduced before this:
28
29 a) Ignore the new libpng.
30 this is what most binary distributions do, they simply ignore the
31 updated and will then release a new minor version of their distribution
32 where everything smoothly links against the new libpng version.
33
34 b) Force upgrade of all packages linking to libpng.
35 this is the path we choose here, all packages that ever link to libpng
36 has been updated with the new dependencies. check for yourself.
37
38 The fact that libpng 1.2.x and 1.0.x are -binary- incompatible doesn't
39 change much when you haven't compiled anything against the new version.
40 everyhting is cool, the right library gets loaded and all things look
41 pretty.
42
43 but, when you mix the two.... install a new package that depends on
44 libpng on an older way (through a library) you get a conflict. suddenly
45 you have two versions of libpng installed.
46
47 Where does this leave you? the two versions cannot safely coexist since
48 they are binary incompatible..... You have to either rebuild the things
49 that you recently rebuilt against the old libpng, and remove the new
50 libpng from your system...
51
52 or you must rebuild the old libraries that link to the old version of
53 libpng with the new versions as provided.
54
55 Now, could you conclude your trollish rant and show me -where- does X
56 link to libpng?
57
58 //Spider
64 begin .signature
65 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
67 end