From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] What to do with people who use internal eclass functions?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 07:38:04
1 Hello, all.
2
3 I've noticed that some people are using internal eclass functions
4 in their ebuilds. I mean, functions that are explicitly marked
5 @INTERNAL and that start with an underscore. What should I do to them?
6
7 I would expect that Gentoo developers are professionals. Or at least
8 semi-reasonable people. Yet it seems that I was mistaken.
9
10 We were never pinged about the internal function use. Nobody bothered
11 to ask us why the function is internal and what they should they use
12 instead. I guess it was the usual 'it works, i don't care' case.
13
14 What should I do now? Mask the ebuild? Proceed with changing
15 the function and break it?
16
17 Or maybe do we need to have GPG signature verification of bash
18 tracebacks in every internal function to prevent developers from using
19 those?
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny