From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:16:29
1 On 18 April 2015 at 02:33, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > The problem is double effort: previously one developer effort was
4 > needed, now effort is doubled at least: reviewers must dig into
5 > details how submitted code works, test it and only then commit. Now
6 > remember that reviewers are also developers. This means that pull
7 > requests will hang for weeks, months, forever due to a lack of time.
8 > On top of all this thinks about maintainer-needed packages or
9 > packages that can't be categorised into some single project, e.g.
10 > *-misc categories.
14 You're aware of course this is a current problem, not a prospective one,
15 and that penalty is paid for every single contributor who doesn't have
16 commit bits.
17
18 This is where any shortage of staff compounds itself.
19
20 Just our tooling is currently really poorly optimised, and so there are
21 needless steps every developer must take to simply have the contibuted code
22 available to even compare.
23
24 I'm hoping with git migration we can find some alternatives that are less
25 taxing.
26
27 But the reduced opinion I have is a lack of progression between overlay
28 contributor and gentoo dev. For instance, a single contributor may be
29 tasked with performing a large number of arbitrary and time consuming
30 simple steps on packages in a specific category, and the nature of their
31 chances might be that the aggregate of those changes can be reviewed
32 without need to review the individual diffs.
33
34 The individual will still be isolated from unsanctioned contamination of
35 the tree, and a trusted gentoo dev still makes the magic happen, so the
36 elements of our human costs are all still there.
37
38 But the tooling can make it more effective to review such differences by
39 aggregation.
42 Kent
43
44 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL