From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new `usex` helper
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:31:29
1 On 02:06 Fri 16 Sep , Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Specious argument; the point of controllable stacking was to avoid the
3 > issue of overlay's forcing their eclasses upon gentoo-x86 ebuilds
4 > (which may not support those modified eclasses) via the old
5 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY behaviour. This is why multiple repositories have
6 > layout.conf master definitions- to explicitly mark that they
7 > require/consume a seperate repo.
8
9 So let me get this straight — instead, you want overlay users to
10 maintain a copy of every eclass they use, which will almost
11 automatically become outdated and stale because it won't track the
12 gentoo-x86 version?
13
14 > What you're basically proposing is a variation of the "push format
15 > definitions into a central tree, and require everyone to use that
16 > central tree". This discussion has come and gone; I say that being
17 > one of the folks who was *pushing for the repository solution*. The
18 > problem there is it fundamentally enables (more forces) fragmentation.
19
20 I think Gentoo will always provide one or a set of "official" central
21 repositories, that's pretty much the definition of a distribution. So
22 yes, I'm saying that generally useful stuff could go into one of these
23 repositories, which (in the multi-repo case) could be like the eclass
24 metaphor for repos; others would depend on it implicitly or explicitly.
25
26 > Realistically I assume you're taking the stance "EAPI gets in the way,
27 > lets do away with it"- if so, well, out with it, and I'll dredge up
28 > the old logs/complaints that lead to EAPI.
29
30 I see EAPI as a nice thing for standardizing features that are
31 implemented in the PM so they work identically across portage, pkgcore,
32 and paludis. But I don't think that implementing things in the PM when
33 they could go in an eclass is automatically the best choice. It
34 dramatically slows down the speed of iteration, prototyping, and bug
35 fixing.
36
37 > rephrase please; either you're saying "everyone uses gentoo-x86" which
38 > is sort of true (funtoo/chrome aren't necessarily riding HEAD/trunk
39 > however which means things can get ugly for derivative repository
40 > usage), but still ignores the situations where people have overlays w/
41 > developmental eclasses that they need to selectively control where it
42 > overrides (which is where the notion of repo stacking comes into
43 > play).
44
45 I think I explained above, but let me know if that's not the case.
48 Thanks,
49 Donnie
50
51 Donnie Berkholz