From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] propose: remove themes from portage
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:52:59
1 On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:59:57 -0500
2 Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Secondly, do we have legal rights to redistribute themes containing
5 > content that we don't have copyright rights to.
6
7 While you're talking about it, it makes me think that some packages may
8 not be legal regarding some US laws about cryptography tools export. I
9 don't really know this laws though, cause I'm not american, so I may be
10 wrong... But Debian has this "non-US" mirror, I guess it's for some
11 reasons. I've looked at a:
12
13 # wget -O - http://non-us.debian.org/ls-lR | awk '{ print$9 }' | \
14 grep deb | awk -F _ '{ print $1 }' | sort -u
15
16 and have seen that some of this packages are in portage, with mirrored
17 sources. Maybe we should think about a "non-US" RESTRICT flag to avoid
18 this packaged to be mirrored on US servers? And I also wonder about
19 things like libdvdcss which is probably not okay in countries where it
20 is forbidden to provide cracking tools, or mp3lame which (I think)
21 doesn't respect some software patents, etc.
22
23 Any thought? Any lawyer on the list?
26 TGL.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list