From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Hosting daily gx86 squashfs images and deltas
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:08:31
1 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
2
3 > However, it may be actually beneficial to provide other durations, like
4 > weekly deltas. In my tests, the daily updates for this week summed up
5 > to almost 50M while the weekly was barely 20M.
6
7 Is there a way to merge the deltas without the original squashfs? how
8 fast is the delta generation? It could be done on the server side on the
9 fly and cached.
10
11 Or we provide a set of 16,8,4,2,1 day deltas, then
12
13 16d: 1 piece needed
14 8d: 2 needed
15 4d: 4 needed
16 2d: 8 needed
17 1d: 16 needed
18
19 The total of 31 pieces will cover a month (31 days) with at most 5
20 deltas to be downloaded.
21
22 e.g. If the system is 19 days old, then we download a 1d, 2d, and 16d.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Benda