From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/dnsdomainname question
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:24:11
1 On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 02:38:33AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > The "problem" is that agetty displays the domainname as reported by
3 > /bin/domainname which is the NIS domainname that is stored in
4 > /etc/nisdomainname. This is irritating many people. Personally, I've put
5 > my domainname in /etc/domainname and symlinked /etc/dnsdomainname and
6 > /etc/nisdomainname to it. An IMO better approach would be to patch
7 > agetty to use dnsdomainname (maybe with another letter in /etc/issue).
8
9 These files have confused many people in the past. Thanks to some good work
10 by Martin Schlemmer, we now have these files set up exactly the way they
11 should be. Unfortunately, some apps like agetty cater to Linux systems that
12 have them set up the wrong way. I agree that it would be a good idea to find
13 a patch for agetty to fix this cosmetic issue.
14
15 Best Regards,
18 Daniel Robbins
19 Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux