From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: bash-4 in ebuilds?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 18:07:25
1 On 02/03/2013 01:12 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Ryan Hill wrote:
3 >
4 >> We have eclasses that require Bash 4 (eg. multiprocessing.eclass
5 >> uses BASHPID).
6 >
7 > I wonder why it would be needed there. Doesn't $$ work?
8
9 In a subshell, I think $$ is the pid of the parent shell, while BASHPID
10 is the real pid of the current subshell. Test cases:
11
12 $ echo $$
13 24996
14 $ ( echo $$ )
15 24996
16 $ echo ${BASHPID}
17 24996
18 $ ( echo ${BASHPID} )
19 25006
20
21 However, multiprocessing.eclass does not appear to do anything with the
22 pid anyway. Inside multijob_finish_one it reads the pid from the pipe
23 and does nothing with it.
24 --
25 Thanks,
26 Zac