From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ebuilds for GCC
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 09:10:49
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > there has been a lengthy discussion on bugzilla ([1]), about the best
5 > packaging method for the gnat Ada compiler. The outcome seems to be that
6 > gnat will still have its own ebuild in the future and not be part of the
7 > GCC ebuild. It also has a mention that gcj will eventually be split out
8 > from the GCC ebuild in the future.
9 >
10 > So my question is: Would it be a good idea to generally turn GCC into split
11 > ebuilds (like KDE/X.org)? Pros/Cons?
12
13 The only case where we actually split anything is for the few C-only kernel
14 compiler packages, gcc-mips64, gcc-sparc64, gcc-powerpc64, etc.. These disable
15 everything else but C, as this compiler is explicitly only for kernel building.
16
17 Anything else...good luck. Aim for manipulating USE flags properly, though, to
18 disable features of gcc you don't want or need. This works better than
19 splitting everything.
22 --Kumba
25 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
26 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
27
28 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
29 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list