From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Micha?? G??rny <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] example conversion of gentoo-x86 current deps to unified dependencies
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:40:13
1 On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 02:02:24PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 04:49:21 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:21:26PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
6 > > > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 04:10:01 -0700
7 > > > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:56:27AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
10 > > > > > But consider that for example Zac & AxS (correct me if I recall
11 > > > > > it correctly) considered making changing the meaning of RDEPEND
12 > > > > > to install them before the build, thus effectively making
13 > > > > > 'build,run' useless.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > I really am not trying to be a blatant dick to you, but this has
16 > > > > /zero/ relevance. RDEPEND means "required for runtime". That
17 > > > > ain't changing. If they were discussing changing what RDEPEND
18 > > > > meant, then they were high, period.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > If zac/axs want to try and make the resolver install RDEPEND
21 > > > > before DEPEND... well, they're free to. That doesn't change the
22 > > > > fact that the deps still must be specified correctly; in short,
23 > > > > build,run is very much relevant.
24 > > >
25 > > > I don't think we have made up our mind what *exactly* we want from
26 > > > deps.
27 > >
28 > > Are we now expecting deps to give us ponies or something? We know
29 > > *exactly* what we want from deps, and their current definition- the
30 > > problem isn't the definition, it's that we don't have the forms we
31 > > need.
32 >
33 > No, the problem is that we think we need more than we have now.
34
35 Read what I wrote. "we don't have the forms we need"; a more proper
36 statement is "we don't have all of the forms we need".
37
38 Please read what I write, rather than just responding blindly. You
39 may have time to waste, but I don't, nor do the people on this ml need
40 to see you respond 13 minutes after I send an email when you
41 can't even be bothered to read the fucking content properly.
44 > Unless
45 > you're considering the whole point of this thread is cosmetics... then
46 > please leave that to Fedora or other people who are paid to change
47 > stuff just because they can.
48
49 This isn't productive; frankly it's childish. Take it to the forums
50 if you want to continue on tangents like this.
53 > > > Just because we have something semi-correct right now, doesn't
54 > > > mean that we don't want to change that.
55 > >
56 > > This is a no-op argument against the proposal: "we can't
57 > > change the deps because we might want to change the deps". It's also
58 > > irrelevant due to the core basis of it being broken as fuck
59 > > (described above).
60 >
61 > What I'm trying to say is that you're making a lot of noise about
62 > cosmetics while we haven't even agreed on what's supposed to be inside.
63 > So, are we introducing this obtuse syntax for three DEPEND variables,
64 > of which the third is almost never used?
65
66 Reiterating the points again, and for the final time for you since you
67 seem intent on riding the short bus for this particular subject:
68
69 1) This unifies the existing syntax down into a collapsed form. In
70 doing so, there are measurable gains across the board for PM
71 efficiency and rsync alone.
72
73 2) In unifying the syntax via reusing our /existing fucking syntax/,
74 we formalize the adhoc common dependency assignments devs already are
75 doing in the tree.
76
77 3) In moving to a unified syntax, it positions us to easily introduce
78 new dependency types without introducing more redundancy. Easier to
79 add new dep types, faster to add new dep types, more efficient in
80 doing so in comparison to existing approaches, and done in a fashion
81 that devs can reuse existing conditionals.
82
83 4) It is not exherbo's DEPENDENCIES. Meaning it is not label based.
84 Meaning you do not need to knee-jerk attack it because of some notion
85 it's ciaran based/related.
86
87 Honestly, stop wasting my (and others time) and please read this email
88 full and through, including the /full thread you're blindly
89 responding to/ before responding again.
90
91 There is no prive for having the fastest turn around time in
92 responding to an email; not unless you consider a permenant /ignore
93 and killfile addition to be a prize.
94
95 ~harring