From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] volonteers for a gentoo admin tool (portage frontend)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:48:04
1 On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 20:05, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
2 > Why? For Historical reasons <G> the unix way is individual tools that do
3 > the job well, not a monolithic swiss knife type of tool (ala Windows way).
4 > Seriously, I'd hate to have to use a tool that combines mirrorselect, ufed,
5 > etc-update, rc-update, and everything else. If it's GUI I'd be lost in a
6 > maze of menus and tabs. And it would have to be able to be run from the
7 > command line since not all systems have X - then you'd have a billion
8 > options to remember which would be impossible.
9 >
10 > The Unix/Linux tool for the job works well - very well. I've had my fill
11 > on managing systems (Windows) with the "one giant tool for all jobs"
12 > approach. Obvioiusly, we don't have to use this tool but n short I feel we
13 > the effort is better spent elsewhere. I started out using this kind of tool
14 > (Webmin, etc.) on Caldera and RH and then gave up as I found they really
15 > didn't do the job. In addition by digging into the command line I really
16 > learned Gentoo/Linux.
19 hmmm you didn't understand the projet. It aims at create a FRONT END to these tools,
20 not replace existing ones. Moreover, the tool is dialog based, so you won't need X.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list