From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] New global USE flag: rbd
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 08:52:44
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:05:58 +0100 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 > On 12/26/2016 08:45 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > 8 packages are using either rbd or rados USE flag for Rados
6 > > Block Device support:
7 >
8 > Are there other possibly conflicting issues of using "rados" rather than
9 > "rbd" as name (or "radosbd") or someting a bit more verbose than rbd.
10
11 As was pointed out by Robin, rados and rbd are different.
12
13 Considering verbose alternatives to rbd: they may be invented, but
14 will be non-standard and this will confuse our users: it will be
15 similar to "portableng" instead of "png".
16
17 Since we don't have rbd meaning conflict right now, it should be
18 safe to use. In case of future issues, local USE may be used for
19 alternative meanings.
20
21 Best regards,
22 Andrew Savchenko