From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mesa >=3.5 masked!?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 16:12:37
1 On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 15:29, José Fonseca wrote:
2
3 > I don't see how the first comment can be true as Mesa is an implementation
4 > of the OpenGL standard which, besides of source compatibility, also has
5 > binary compatibility within a platform. Mesa releases notes also don't
6 > mention nothing like that.
7 >
8 > Regarding the second comment I found the referring bug number 245. It says
9 > that NVIDIA can't use the SGI libGLU.la 1.3 included in Mesa >=3.5. If so
10 > then why is the same SGI libGLU 1.3 available trhu the sgi-oss-glu ebuild?
11 > Stranger is that the "Nvidia OpenGL Configuration mini-HOWTO"
12 > (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration/) uses Mesa
13 > 4.0.1 in the tutorial, but on the other hand the author does state that
14 > "not had time to test all the procedures"...
15 >
16 > So it seems that there is quite a bit of misunderstanding. Is it mine or
17 > should I fill in a bug report?
20 Point is ... experience shows that those included with xfree
21 works 99% of the time, if not 100%. If you want to use
22 4.0.1, go for it ... you just get to keep the pieces.
26 Martin Schlemmer
27 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
28 Cape Town, South Africa