From: Patrick Nagel <mail@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] webapp-config needs a new maintainer
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 05:24:10
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2010-03-10 11:30, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 > There are quite a few bugs open for it plus the latest version (1.50.18)
5 > is not even in Gentoo but on SourceForge only.
6 > Its upstream Gunnar left Gentoo due to lack of time recently.
7 >
8 > As I got project admin rights for layman from Gunnar before I know that
9 > a similar thing should be theoretical possible for you and
10 > webapp-config, too.
13 > So your first task would be a proper bump and a maybe few bug fixes after:
14 >
15 > http://sourceforge.net/projects/webapp-config/files/
16 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=webapp-config
17 >
18 > I know there's people using this tool. If you use it this is your
19 > chance to ensure it keeps in good shape. Being proxied or mentored
20 > initially should also work in case you want that.
21
22 I'm using webapp-config on multiple servers, and I think it's an
23 important part of Gentoo, as it provides a sane way to keep track of web
24 applications.
25
26 I see a problem though: the ebuilds of popular webapps like MediaWiki or
27 Wordpress seem to be in bad shape / unmaintained, which in term makes
28 this tool much less useful. Maybe that is caused by the fact, that
29 webapp-config has bugs? Chicken/Egg problem?
30 So, I wish there could be more people taking care of timely version
31 bumps etc. for webapps, since it is essential that webapps are always
32 kept up-to-date, most of them being written in PHP, buggy, exposed to
33 the net and all.
34
35 Anyway, I can imagine working on webapp-config, and becoming a Gentoo
36 package maintainer. My time is a little limited though (day job + part
37 time job + family), so don't expect too much. If there is someone with
38 more time on his/her hands, please go for it.
39
40 Patrick.
43 Key ID: 0x86E346D4 http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
44 Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4