From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [FEATURE-REQUEST][PORTAGE] Apply custom patches
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:32:27
1 On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:49:27 +0800
2 Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:39:23 +0300
5 > Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Ok, enough is enough. This should go into FAQ. Don't you think so?
8 >
9 > The FAQ already has a paragraph about doing the .configure part
10 > manually, maybe this should be made a little more general, e.g.
11 >
12 > "How can I configure/patch a package myself without modifying the
13 > ebuild?
14 >
15 > You can do this with the Ebuild command (man ebuild)....."
16 >
17 > Michael
18
19 I'm thinking the whole point has been missed in an effort to "make do" with
20 the current tools.
21 MYPATCHES="path/to/patches" emerge foo
22 would definitely be easier than a
23 ebuild foo.ebuild {fetch|upack} patch sources etc.
24 For that kind of effort, it would be far easier to edit the ebuild directly.
25 I think you'd be surprised that on a ~x86 box the number of patches that
26 need to be added, or better yet, taken out as they are not needed or break
27 the package under certain circumstances, not to mention the amount of
28 patches that are included with some ebuilds as a sweeping general purpose
29 one-size fits all patching. For example, the build for XFree86 contains
30 patches for several video cards and tablets which get applied regardless of
31 the card you specify in USE=" ". In closing, the ebuild command is great
32 when you need to manually play with the ./configure script, but for sorting
33 patches, it is akin to using a hammer and vice-grips to remove a nut you
34 don't have the wrench for. I'd like to see this given serious thought, and
35 not passed off as another "we need to dumb down the FAQ" attempt. If it can
36 be done with the USE flags, it shouldn't be too hard to tweak this,no?
39 Thanks
44 Chuck Brewer
45 Registered Linux User #284015
46 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.