From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Baselayout 2 stabilisation todo
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:35:18
1 On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'd like to collect some things we need to do before Baselayout 2 and
5 > OpenRC can go stable.  Up to now I have:
6 >
7 > * eselect 1.1 stable (current RC3) for the support in the rc module
8 > * a newer splashutils stable
9 > * documentation updates (http://bugs.gentoo.org/213988, thanks Jeremy)
10 >
11 > What else?  As some of you might foresee, this can be as hard as a
12 > major GCC stabilisation, so it must be well-planned and organised.
13 >
14 > V-Li
15 >
16 > --
17 > Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
18 > <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
19 >
20 > <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
23 The only reason why OpenRC has not come up for stabilization by it's
24 maintainers is the fact that everytime there's a new version readied
25 for release, on the horizon there's new incompatible changes being
26 planned for the next version. The OpenRC maintainers in Gentoo have
27 always chosen to wait until OpenRC settles down a little bit. Now with
28 the plan to drop support for certain features (ADSL and PPP support in
29 the networking code), it's going to rewrite more Gentoo people to step
30 up to develop and maintain this code.
31
32 If you're volunteering for this position, Christian, I'll happily step
33 down and allow you to maintain this. I would also discuss this with
34 zzam and vapier, the other 2 maintainers of OpenRC.
38 Doug Goldstein