From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in net-print/cups: ChangeLog cups-1.3.4-r1.ebuild cups-1.3.4.ebuild
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:34:09
1 On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 16:14 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:58:42 +0100
3 > Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Lucky you are that your native language is one of the world's most
5 > > widely spoken languages. Imagine to express yourself in a language you
6 > > are not familiar with!
7 >
8 > And when not speaking in my native language, I made damned sure I'm not
9 > just misunderstanding something before going around making all sorts of
10 > unfounded accusations in public.
11
12 Please try to be the better man here and discontinue this current line
13 of thinking. I ask you, instead, to look at Denis' email as a friendly
14 reminder to keep things on a more civil level. As a native English
15 speaker, I didn't see anything wrong with your comments, as they were
16 directed towards code, not a person. Were the same comments made
17 towards a person, yes, it would be offensive. Since not all of us are
18 native speakers, sometimes just the simple replacement of a word can
19 help change the tone to those of us not born in an English speaking
20 country.
21
22 I've noticed your civility of late and want to encourage you to
23 continue. I would like to apologize if you feel ass if you've been
24 baited or anything. I know Denis and know that wasn't really his
25 intention, but rather to remind you (and others) to try to think about
26 the word choices we make. Had you said "odd" instead of perverse, we
27 wouldn't likely be having this conversation, though you and I know the
28 functional meaning of the two words in that context are nearly
29 identical. This is mostly the case with words with multiple meanings,
30 where non-native speakers might not know all of the alternate meanings
31 and can misinterpret your words. I know it has happened to me quite a
32 few times.
33
34 Thanks,
37 Chris Gianelloni