From: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage and "Global Updates"
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 05:19:38
1 On 09/19/03 Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2
3 > I have a question about the "Global Updates" that portage currently
4 > performs every now and then (moving packages and stuff...).
5 >
6 > I am not clear how exactly it works, but is there a reason why the
7 > files are named #Q-YEAR? Since portage applies the updates in
8 > alphabetic order and since interrupting portage at inappropriate time
9 > makes it try and perform the updates in all files, doesn't it make
10 > more sense to name the files so that they sort in time ascending
11 > order? Instead of 3Q-2003 make it 2003-3Q.
12
13 Yes, it would make more sense and I don't know why this naming scheme
14 was chosen in the first place. It's not really a big issue as I already
15 submitted a patch for this issue on bug 28705. I think this is better
16 than renaming the files (which is not possible in CVS) as I don't like
17 to rely on the ordering of pythons os.listdir() function.
18
19 Marius
24 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
25 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.