From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] x86-fbsd keyword in main tree?
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:52:06
1 Okay, solar asked me yesterday, and I think this might be the good moment to
2 start this out.
3 Right now the x86-fbsd keyword is not being used in the main tree, and the
4 whole Gentoo/FreeBSD is handled in an overlay, sharing the ~x86 keyword with
5 standard Gentoo/Linux.
6 Unfortunately this has a series of drawbacks:
7
8 - we need to package.mask packages that could just not have ~x86-fbsd keyword
9 at all (because being linux specifics);
10 - we can see the last working version of a package go away because later
11 versions are ~x86 and they don't work for us (old flex might have been an
12 example but that's now fixed; findutils can be another example);
13 - we cannot make sure that the deptree is satisfied.
14
15 To bring ~x86-fbsd keywording in main tree, we mainly need to move a true
16 profile in the tree, not a dummy one, mark it as indev and start the
17 keywording. (I've already cleaned up the default-bsd/fbsd profile so that it
18 does work with the current base/ profile.
19 As long as virtual/libc is not in the dependencies, it shouldn't trigger any
20 kind of problems to leave the sys-freebsd category in the overlay, if we
21 really need to start needing that, I'll see to make the ebuild quality level.
22
23 It's not going to be a quick thing, as I'm mostly alone with Gentoo/FreeBSD
24 right now (help is always welcome), but times are mature so that I can
25 provide a decent experience to users.
26
27 Can anybody name a showstopper to this?
30 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
31 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE