From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:50:39
1 On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 08:08:41AM -0500, Mike Doty wrote:
2 > No, you're confusing the different definitions of developers. In the
3 > gentoo sense of everyone is a developer(ebuild, infra, devrel, even
4 > forums), then yes, you would have to consider the AT as a "developer."
5 Uuuuh, watch your language. This was a hot topic before ;-)
6
7 > Due to the fact that it hasn't been official, providing them with the
8 > tools to get their job done has been a challenge. I don't think it's
9 > right to ask for read-only CVS without them being official for example.
10 Makes sense. They need official tools to do official work, so make
11 them official.
12
13 > While most developers have accepted them and use them, there are still
14 > those that look down on them. What can I say, other than a distro like
15 > gentoo inherently breeds a certain level of 31337ism, however misplaced
16 > or inappropriate it is.
17 At least the fact that some people cry out loud as soon someone talks
18 about people who don't mess up ebuilds as developers is a bit strange.
19
20 > So, the choice for an AT to not pursue becoming a ebuild/arch dev is
21 > theirs to make, with a wide variety of reasons. It's not that they lack
22 > in any one skill that would otherwise make them a developer.
23 They may know even more than people commited to doing infra, devrel or
24 forums work who are full members as well. Gentoo is more than a bunch
25 of developers and there are also a lot of folks filling different
26 positions (e.g. developer and infra).
27 In fact current ATs are already doing the ebuild quiz, which is
28 "harder" than the staff quiz others do. They do important work even
29 though it's not _that_ 13117 as writing ebuilds. I really don't see a
30 reason why they should not get full staff priviledges.
31 After all Gentoo is the result of our united efforts. We need people
32 writing code as well as docs team, infra, forums, devrel, AT and all
33 the other folks i forgot now.
34
35 cheers,
36 Wernfried
39 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
40 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
41 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list