From: daveman@××××××××××××.net
To: Jeff Jeter <gsfgf@××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Livecds
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 02:31:10
1 On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 05:47:41PM -0500, Jeff Jeter wrote:
2 > I know this isn't a developer question, but it is important to my installer and i haven't been able to find help elsewhere.
3 >
4 > I am trying to create a custom livecd. I can find no documentation on how the livecds work nor how to make one. Are they simple el torrito bootable cds or more complex? Can someone either post instructions on how to make a custom livecd or a link to documentation that would point me in he right direction.
5 >
6 > I do have the livecd package installed, but the man page makes no sense.
7 >
8 > Thanks,
9 > Jeff
10
11 This sounds interesting, I figure I'll give a stab at how I might begin to
12 approach such a thing ;-)
13
14 * Make yourself a loopback filesystem of about 640MB in size and mount.
15
16 * Mount /var and /tmp and /proc from regular filesystem into your new
17 filesystem and chroot.
18
19 * Do your regular gentoo install. When your done, perhaps clean out the
20 /usr/portage area? Unmount.
21
22 * Make an el torito CD.(not entirely sure how to do this part)
23
24 * Copy over filesystem image to the CD.
25
26 * I'm thinking you'll probably need a RAMDISK for temporary file storage and
27 whatnot.
30 Sounds like it would be a fun project. If someone has already done such a
31 document it would be very interesting to see. If not, it might be fun to write.
32 ;-)
33
34 Let me know.
35 --David