From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Extending -scm with upstream revision awareness
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:38:10
1 On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:30:59 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > > * When installing an scm package with suitable EAPI to VDB /
4 > > exndbam, rewrite the scm version to -scm@THE_INFO_OUTPUT.
5 >
6 > so -scm will have a @ metachar to point that what's following is the
7 > hash/revision/reference to avoid clashes.
8 > The info output would consider branches and tags as well?
9
10 The ID is merely equality comparable. So far as I'm aware, all scm
11 systems can give you at least one of:
12
13 * A numeric revision of whatever you've checked out (subversion r1234
14 etc)
15
16 * A string revision of whatever you've checked out (git sha1 IDs)
17
18 * When the last change was made. You can always do something like find
19 dir/ -type f -printf '%T@\n' | sort -n | tail -n1 if you're dealing
20 with a sucky SCM that has no global revisions... I suspect CVS is in
21 this boat, if anyone's still using it...
22
23 For subversion and git, this has the added devious advantage of making
24 the revision / ID easily visible.
27 Ciaran McCreesh