From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:28:34
1 Sebastian Pipping posted on Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:00:03 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Duncan wrote:
4 >> [L]et's get some context here. layman's no difficulty at all, really,
5 >> when compared to the ordinary stuff we expect Gentoo users to do all
6 >> the time.
7 >
8 > I think you forget about the learning curve: Gentoo users are not born
9 > as Gentoo users. They are coming from other distros (say Debian or
10 > Ubuntu).
11
12 Not forgetting that, but perhaps forgetting how "unordinary" my own
13 experience was. I came from Mandrake, but researched Gentoo well enough
14 that I was already explaining portage basics based on the material in the
15 Handbook, etc, on the user list (and reading the dev list), before I even
16 had Gentoo installed.
17
18 I like to think that if I can do it, everybody can, but regardless of
19 whether they /can/ or not, it's a fact that not everybody /does/, as
20 demonstrated by the fact that people were asking the questions I was
21 answering.
22
23 I /do/ sometimes forget /that/ end of it, that for whatever reason, not
24 everybody chooses to read the handbook, etc, even if it's ultimately only
25 making the job of sysadmining their own Gentoo boxen an order of
26 magnitude harder than it should be.
27
28 > For me it was unmasking that confused me a lot in the beginning. There
29 > is three different kinds, one is not in "the books" afaik and it's no
30 > fun to me to do. I guess without autounmask by now I would be so
31 > frustrated to not use Gentoo anymore.
32
33 You have me wondering now what's "not in the books." I'd guess the three
34 types of masking must be (entirely) unkeyworded, ~arch keyworded, and
35 hard-masked (package.mask-ed), but again, unless that material has
36 actually been /removed/ from the handbook since 2004, I was actually
37 explaining all that to others even from my still Mandrake system, so
38 it's /certainly/ in the books!
39
40 And I don't need for autounmask, tho I do run ~arch. But the thing is,
41 if people are running enough individual ~arch packages so handling it
42 manually is difficult enough they need a tool for it, from my viewpoint,
43 they should seriously consider running ~arch anyway, since stable is
44 tested, and ~arch is somewhat tested, but nobody much tests a half-and-
45 half system nor could it be practically so in any case since there's just
46 too many millions of variants there to test, so trying to run such a half-
47 and-half system is really asking for more trouble than trying to run a
48 full ~arch system.
49
50 But with a few small refinements over the years as Gentoo and its FLOSS
51 environment have changed, again, that's very close to the same position
52 and explanation I took from the very beginning, while I was still working
53 on my first install.
54
55 > Seriously, stuff like the layman setup mess is another tiny reason
56 > keeping our user base smaller than needed, keeping our recruiting rates
57 > down.
58
59 I guess I just don't see it. There's a reason the packages on the
60 overlays aren't yet part of the tree, because in general, either the
61 ebuilds (if not the upstream packages) aren't yet mature enough to be in-
62 tree (at least unmasked, in-tree), or they're community ebuilds, not
63 Gentoo-dev vetted ones. Keeping that distinction, for the protection of
64 both Gentoo and its users, is a deliberate policy. Those who are mature
65 enough to handle the risks of overlays can get them with little problem,
66 while those newbies who self-evidently are NOT mature enough in their
67 Gentoo usage to properly handle the risk (or it'd not be a problem for
68 them in the first place since they'd be comfortable with the tools and
69 how to use them), are by deliberate policy, kept away from the additional
70 risk and danger.
71
72 Other than minor refinements here or there, I just don't see how that can
73 or should be changed, unless we're simply deciding that policy is wrong-
74 headed, so damn the torpedoes headed for our users, full steam ahead, let
75 them at them!
80 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman