From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl self-tests
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:09:25
1 Lest it be thought that the perl herd (all whopping 3 of us if you are only
2 interested in a fresh body count, less than that if you want people hours
3 devoted to perl) were ignoring this thread...
7 > Surely it seems to be a problem for some people. FEATURES=maketest should
8 > cover this, but the perl maintainers have the ebuild written in a way that
9 > forces src_test even if "maketest" isn't enabled. Ex.:
10
11 Must say, its hardly fair to point to a FEATURE that wasn't added until June
12 for a bug comment that I made in February.
13
14 > I can understand that, perhaps, perl@g.o. want users to run tests to make
15 > sure it's sane before install. However, I don't think it should be
16 > forced, especially since the testing part itself seems to be buggy -- a
17 > problem for people, even if it's not for devs. That's separate and
18 > regardless of whether the tests pass or fail.
19
20 The value added by doing the tests is invaluable to locating the problems in
21 a perl install before it is on their system. Not all perl problems will
22 manifest themselves on first use - but the tests help us eliminate most of
23 them ahead of time. I understand on irc that we can now reject bugs if the
24 user hasn't used maketests in their features. Can't say that I agree with
25 this, but if someone would be willing to provide me with corrabarating
26 (spelling be damned ;) ) policy I'd be happy to make this change. This
27 change also means that we will be updating the 400 plus ebuilds that we
28 support so that make tests in modules will only be done under this feature.
31 > So, my question is, why was the above bug was closed CANTFIX? Telling
32 > people to hack the ebuild to avoid a buggy test routine is not a solution.
33
34 Because it was closed as such long before the option was available. Perhaps
35 its just interpretation on this end, but this was a rather scathing email,
36 out of the blue, from someone with dev status who could reopen the bug, and
37 who could have at least bothered to make a single comment in the bug to such
38 an affect.
39
40 No hard feelings, I need coffee :)
41