From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:22:34
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 20.01.2022 kell 16:32, kirjutas Brian Evans:
2 > On 1/17/2022 6:24 PM, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I've been approached multiple times with that request, and a lot of
6 > > time I see new users completely destroyed by rust build time and
7 > > disk
8 > > space requirements.
11 > I bet that the pending polkit merge request[1] (which is just about
12 > ready and blessed but not merged by devs) would seriously drop many
13 > people's concerns over rust.
14 >
15 > Using duktape on most systems will suffice for polkit once included.
16 >
17 > GNOME and Mozilla products still pull in spidermonkey but other users
18 > will have a much reduced requirement for rust.
19
20 librsvg, dev-python/cryptography (masked so far but eventually needs to
21 move forard, albeit it looks like it won't have as big an impact as it
22 once would have), probably rather more to come.
23
24 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 20.01.2022 kell 20:01, kirjutas Michael Orlitzky:
25 > Avoiding librsvg used to be difficult because it's required by our
26 > GTK
27 > icon packages to render PNGs from SVGs. Luckily dilfridge's binrepo
28 > now makes it easy to download pre-rendered icons, and there's no
29 > security/performance/legal concerns with pre-rendered PNGs, so using
30 > them shouldn't present any moral dilemmata. You mainly just have to
31 > replace Firefox, Thunderbird, and GIMP.
32
33 And it is required on GTK itself to actually be able to render any SVG
34 icons. I can not suggest avoiding librsvg with GTK, nor let such
35 suggestions of such be uncountered.
36 rust is a toolchain, just like GCC, and if you are running a source-
37 based distribution, you get to have the toolchains required to compile
38 from source.
41 Anyhow, my vote is to default to rust-bin - people can easily be told
42 to move to dev-lang/rust at their convenience and then explicitly
43 depclean rust-bin. They can even use system-bootstrap on dev-lang/rust
44 with rust-bin to do so, in some situations (~arch-only apparently).
45
46 Mart