From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, stuart.herbert@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:33:37
1 On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:57:43PM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Fernando J. Pereda wrote: [Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:18:52PM EST]
3 > > Well, I find it easier to understand than many other DVCSs out there...
4 > > In fact I don't think it is difficult to use in any way. Maybe pre-1.1
5 > > versions had some syntax weirdnesses, but the 1.2 series are really easy
6 > > to use and understand...
7 >
8 > That is good to hear. It's possible that my comments were misplaced,
9 > and it would be worth my while to reinvestigate git. Personally I use
10 > mercurial daily (xen) and I've been very happy with it.
11 >
12 > I'm under the impression that mercurial is easier to use than git,
13 > mostly because of git's philosophy of providing the low-level
14 > infrastructure and expecting other projects to build user-friendly
15 > interfaces. While that split sounds good in theory, it seems to
16 > result in one interface that's powerful+complex, and other interfaces
17 > that are weak+easy. Again, that's an impression, not recent personal
18 > experience.
19
20 Yeah, that's a lot of people's "impression" that haven't use git before,
21 and we need to get Linus to stop downplaying it all of the time. But if
22 you've used it, you will quickly see how powerful and sane git is. I
23 don't know of anyone who has used it that doesn't just absolutly love
24 it.
25
26 And it's come a long way recently and is much nicer and no extra
27 "user-friendly" helper tools are needed at all. Don't be put off by the
28 70+ different git commands, just go through the tutorial and try it out
29 for yourself.
30
31 In short, I can't recommend git enough, it works wonderful for doing
32 things like storing my mbox archive, kernel development, shared
33 repository development of other projects with multiple developers, and
34 even handling system configuration files.
35
36 thanks,
37
38 greg k-h