From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Begin a dev-libs/nodejs category?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 23:52:30
1 Hello Herb,
2
3 "Herb Miller Jr." <gentooherb@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > When I did my homework on creating nodejs ebuilds (not nodejs itself
6 > but packages written in node), it seems the topic has come up a few
7 > times in the past but the time commitment and general disorganization
8 > of upstream has scared off any serious attempts at packaging.
9 >
10 > Seeing as there has been interest in nodejs packages, and in the end
11 > we could be talking 400-600+ packages, would it be possible to create
12 > dev-libs/nodejs category? I would be happy to write and proxy-maintain
13 > ebuilds for a large number of them to get things in motion. I've
14 > already opened pull request #7427 [1] for chalk and its
15 > dependencies. I'm aiming to build up to all the dependencies needed
16 > for Visual Studio Code OSS.
17 >
18 > [1]:https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/7427
19
20 Your effort will be much appreciated. I support your plan.
21
22 Should the category be dev-js intead? To me, node.js is but an
23 implementation of javascript runtime.
26 BTW, for the 400-500 packages, are you going to create them with a
27 generator script?
28
29 Cheers,
30 Benda