From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:04:49
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:22:12 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> How do you generate your grub-0 config files?
6 >
7 > I didn't, it came as a stock example file with comments which I edited
8 > in a minimal fashion until it worked.
11 Not a surprise, that is how most did it.
14 >> You can just use the same method to generate the grub-2 ones...
15 >
16 > No, I regenerated it with mkconfig, replacing the file.
17
18 And that is my point.
19
20 In the past you were given a template file and some instructions and
21 simply edited it.
22
23 Now you're given a fancy file-generator tool which you don't like.
24 So, instead of a template file you ask for another simpler
25 file-generator tool, which I think is the wrong approach.
26
27 What you really want is another template file.
28
29 I'm happy with mkconfig, but I did hand-roll my config files before
30 that. The docs are out there. However, for whatever reason, it is
31 very hard to find examples of simple config files online. The
32 official docs try to point you in the direction of mkconfig, and since
33 99% of linux users don't configure their own grub there isn't much
34 alternative documentation (and when a distro's solution does break the
35 solution usually is based on mkconfig anyway).
36
37 Unfortunately, I deleted the last copy of my manually-generated config
38 files eons ago, otherwise I'd happily post one. The syntax is ALMOST
39 identical to grub-0, but not quite. The syntax is documented though,
40 and you can get a sense for how it works in the mkconfig-generated
41 ones, but I'll go ahead and point out that 99% of the stuff in those
42 is unnecessary. The essential elements are basically the same as they
43 were before.
46 Rich