From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:46:54
1 On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:41:24 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > A 'type' field would be useful as well, to support various kinds of
4 > package sets (much like portage handles currently).
5
6 I'm highly doubtful that there's any real need for different kinds of
7 repository-provided sets. We especially don't want sets to be code...
8
9 > > dev-monkey/howler
10 > > dev-monkey/spider
11 > > >=dev-monkey/spanky-2.0
12 > > dev-monkey/squirrel
13 >
14 > We'd either want to add || ( ) here, or somehow explicitly specify
15 > that this is a one-of set.
16
17 No, that's something that's determined by how the set's used, not by
18 what's in the set. There's no such thing as a "one-of" set; a set is
19 just a list of package dep specs.
20
21 > > Disadvantages: doesn't use some horribly convoluted system of XML,
22 > > wikis and web 2.0.
23 >
24 > And introduces another dedicated file format the PM has to implement
25 > from scratch.
26
27 It's a simple text file. It takes fewer lines of code to parse it
28 from scratch than it does to get the results out of an XML parser.
31 Ciaran McCreesh