From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 12:26:28
1 On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:40:47 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:14:43 -0400
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > > Ah, while we're at it. If a library has macros referring
8 > > > to the functions of another library (or just types) in its public
9 > > > API, it needs a pkg-config file. ELF dependencies are not enough,
10 > > > and the gold linker will refuse to work because of a missing
11 > > > explicit dependency.
12 > >
13 > > Eh, straight to the point where pkgconfig is not the solution to
14 > > everything: a binary not using said macros but trusting pkgconfig
15 > > will get overlinked. Documentation stating that when using these
16 > > macros/functions one should link to the other lib would make things
17 > > even better.
18 >
19 > The macros/types can change over time. Maintaining all indirect
20 > dependencies is not friendly nor useful.
23 So in this hypothetic case where your lib changes its ABI and API, it
24 is not friendly and seen useless by consumers, I think I agree :)