From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Temporary DevRel actions for CoC violations
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:53:44
1 On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > And it's not fair to pick on the candidates by putting them under
4 > close watch (mentor ship, probation already in place) and let the
5 > established ones walk away.
6
7 Tend to agree, and I don't think it is as productive either. Set
8 policies and enforce them, and the culture will gradually align to
9 where we want it to go. Right now our culture probably turns away
10 people who would be a good "cultural fit" because the reality is that
11 they're really not a good fit because our current culture is lousy.
12 If we fixed our culture, then people who want to flame away are likely
13 to not bother applying because they see others like them being hounded
14 by devrel.
15
16 Policy enforcement isn't just corrective - it is preventative. When
17 you set examples, others follow them beyond just the immediate target.
18 Over time, properly-applied discipline is something that puts itself
19 out of business.
20
21 Rich