From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [experiment] Sunrise try 2
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:34:41
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2
3 > Edward Catmur wrote:
4 >> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 13:05 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
5 >>> (from critics)
6 >>> - What is wrong with the model (each point 2 lines at least, 4 at most)
7 >>> - What you'd do as alternative as the criticized point ( 2 lines again)
8 >
9 > Let me reformat a bit
12 > Critic 1
13 >> * Simplicity: The FAQ claims that Sunrise is simpler than Bugzilla. It
14 >> is - for users. Contributing is a lot more involved than with Bugzilla;
15 >> Sunrise is supposed to be about making contributing easier.
16 >
17 > Reply 1
18 >> - Admit this in the FAQ. Where possible, write svn wrappers to make the
19 >> contributing process easier.
20
21 I have added something to the answer in question, if it does not go far
22 enough I would appreciate a better rewording from you :)
23 "But in contrast to that it requires more knowledge and tools to get
24 something into sunrise - more work for contributors. Also contributors have
25 to get their ebuilds reviewed before committing - bugzilla is easier here."
26
27 For wrappers: I am working on a svncommit.sh to generate the digest and svn
28 commit the ebuilds. This is certainly high on the TODO list :)
29
30 > Critic 2
31 >> * Security (from malicious contributors): Glad to see layman will only
32 >> track the reviewed/ tree; still, anyone who checks out the sunrise/ tree
33 >> (and has it in PORTDIR_OVERLAY) is vulnerable.
34 >
35 > Reply 2a
36 >> - Remove from the examples any suggestion that one should check out the
37 >> whole tree when contributing.
38
39 A contributor needs the whole tree, because of the scripts/ and the
40 profiles/ directory as well as skel.ChangeLog. For 2b I have added an
41 explicit warning, I think it covers this as well.
42
43 > Reply 2b
44 > - Point out that one should not svn up sunrise/ as part of updating
45 > Portage.
46
47 right, I added the following:
48 "The copy of the sunrise you will checkout here is '''not reviewed'''.
49 Handle with extreme care. Do not use this as your PORTDIR_OVERLAY! Keep
50 using your reviewed layman copy for PORTDIR_OVERLAY."
51 >
52 > Reply 2c
53 > - sunrise/playground won't let anonymous fetch.
54 Yeah, this is certainly easy to do and increases safety. I have been bugging
55 jokey about this already :)
56
57 > Critic 3
58 >> * Conflicts between contributors (technical): Alice adds an ebuild; Bob
59 >> makes a change; Alice makes another change and discovers it conflicts
60 >> with Bob's change in the repo. Alice has not used subversion and doesn't
61 >> know how to resolve conflicts.
62 >
63 > Reply 3a
64 > - People are supposed to learn svn in order to contribute.
65 since we use the IRC channel for contributing, I think this is a non-isssue
66 because devs in the IRC channel know subversion and can help out. Learning
67 by doing is preferred.
68
69 > Reply 3b
70 > - Tutorials will be provided about conflict resolution
71 see #3a, I do not want to write too many docs that are not often needed and
72 easily explained in IRC.
73
74 > Critic 4
75 >> * Conflicts between contributors (social): Alice adds an ebuild; Bob
76 >> makes a (maybe "obvious") change; Alice thinks the change is incorrect,
77 >> and, feeling that the ebuild is her property, reverts the change. A
78 >> revert war erupts. Many casualties.
79 >
80 > Reply 4a
81 >> - Create a social structure to enable Alice and Bob to communicate and
82 >> resolve their differences of opinion. Forums? Wiki? IRC? Bugzilla? I
83 >> would argue there should be One True location for this to occur; not
84 >> bugzilla (bugspam); not IRC (impermanence).
85 IRC is certainly a good and direct way of doing this and it has worked in
86 the past for us, when we already had a similar conflict. Now you say that
87 IRC is impermanent, where do you see the problem, can you elaborate that a
88 bit for me, please? We are open here. Currently there is no forced way of
89 communication - everyone can chose how to communicate himself.
90
91 > Reply 4b
92 > - ban warmongers.
93 this can always be done, but it is a last resort that is hopefully not
94 needed. Of course when someone behaves badly action will be taken.
95
96 > Critic 5
97 >> * More to keep track of: With bugzilla you have a single URL, from which
98 >> you receive threaded email updates. Sunrise adds /two/ svn directories
99 >> plus whatever is used for discussion.
100 >> - Create a summary page that links to bugzilla and discussions, and
101 >> tracks versions and changes, and all other relevant information. Allow
102 >> (require?) contributors to subscribe to email updates from the summary
103 >> page.
104 Yeah, this is also on our TODO list, currently we have a script for that:
105 scripts/create-stats.sh - it currently lists only bug entries and herds,
106 devs on CC for packages in the overlay. A more extensive version of that
107 needs to be put on a web page, right.
108 For updates:
109 Every ebuild-committer is required to CC to the bug, important ebuild
110 updates need to be mentioned on the bug, I think a second
111 update/notification system would be overkill here and leave out people that
112 only use bugzilla.
113
114 > Ed if you think this doesn't show your ideas please send another using
115 > this format.
116 I changed some things back where I wanted to answer Ed directly. Sorry to
117 differ a bit from the format, but I think it is important to explain and
118 get things sorted here. Keep it constructive!
119
120 Many thanks to Ed for the valueable comments.
121
122 Regards,
123 Stefan
126 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list