From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:55:50
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:34 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > It is the general attitude: Does Gentoo welcome contributions
4 > or want to make their developers live in an ivory tower?
5 >
6 > It is about openness vs. isolation.
9 I'm pretty sure most developers, myself included, want to welcome
10 contributions.
11
12 Much of the concern is that the lists have been turning into endless
13 arguing over things like very topic. If a newcomer comes along and
14 reads your post, they're going to get the impression that the
15 developers live in an ivory tower. Why would somebody want to
16 contribute to Gentoo in the first place if that is their first
17 impression?
18
19 Before it was the debate over mailing list policy it was a debate over
20 discipline policies. Apparently developers live in an ivory tower and
21 like to kick people out of the tower as well. In that particular
22 debate the people most informed about what was actually happening were
23 forbidden by policy from explaining what was going on, which basically
24 left everybody who knew nothing of the details to spin conspiracy
25 theories.
26
27 It is natural that people are going to disagree on some of these
28 issues. The problem is when it turns into a personal attack or
29 hyperbole, which IMO the part I quoted falls into.
30
31 The intent isn't to stifle debate/discussion. Whitelisting vs
32 blacklisting on a mailing list have obvious pros/cons, and you made a
33 legitimate point in the second half of your email (one that was hardly
34 unknown to the Council I'm sure). The problem becomes when we try to
35 attach motives to everybody else's actions. It isn't enough to point
36 out the pros/cons of whitelisting/blacklisting/etc. Now we need to
37 talk about "ivory towers" and "attitude" and in other posts "cabals"
38 and so on. This kind of language can be demotivating because it
39 demonizes those trying to fix things no matter what they do. Are they
40 promoting "ivory towers" or are they allowing "toxic people" to attack
41 new contributors (which also hardly is welcoming to new contributors)?
42 And then everybody feels like they have to lead some kind of
43 revolution to save Gentoo from itself.
44
45 A lot of this comes down to considering that most people in these
46 debates probably are well-intended.
49 Rich