From: Rudy Ruiz <rudy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:03:06
1 I'd love to see that script you have when you're ready to release it for
2 some "real" testing :)
3
4 ----- Original Message -----
5 From: "Mathijs Kwik (-=TRoXX=-)" <troxx@××××××××.nl>
6 To: <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
7 Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 7:29 AM
8 Subject: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3
11 > It's released! --> GCC-3.0
12 >
13 > did anyone use it to build gentoo yet (the cvs versions) ?
16 > I will also very soon post a script that will allow you to REALLY build
17 from
18 > scratch... so not to the live-system, but to some sub-dir, or partition...
19 > I'm testing it and it seems to build fine... what you'll end up with is a
20 > perfect version of achim's build-tarball... the problem with the current
21 > tarball is that to force a rebuild, achim removed the /var/db/pkg/ dir...
22 > which has the nasty disadvantage of losing info about the version
23 > installed... so after a rebuild (bootstrap, emerge system) you are left
24 with
25 > some shit from old versions of packages (example : vim-5.7 was included in
26 > build-tarball... but a rebuild will install 5.8 and leaves the
27 > old(to-be-removed) 5.7 stuff in place)
28 >
29 > a cool side-possibility of my script might be (not sure) that if you use a
30 > cross-compiler (never used 1, so maybe I'm wrong) you can get gentoo to
31 work
32 > on different architectures...
33 >
34 > well... you'll see soon ;)