From: "Francesco R.(vivo)" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: color management in gentoo (kde expecially) proposal for help
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:45:06
1 re-adding the list, gmail still fool me some times.
2 2012/2/23 Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@×××.de>:
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > glad to read from you.
6 >
7 > Am 23.02.12, 15:47 +0100 schrieb Francesco Riosa:
8 >
9 >> Hi,
10 >> my name is Francesco Riosa, I would be interested in a more
11 >> complete support of the oyranos color managment programs in ::gentoo.
12 >> Oyranos is intended to be multy platform and in some sense multy os,
13 >> but in the current incarnation has good support for kde.
16 > Joseph works on a GUI front end for Qt to broaden the support. And you are
17 > right, KDE's KolorManager is in the best shape.
18
19 Synnefo is already in a good shape too right? I would also like to see
20 a complete replacement for icc-examin, expecially it's ability to see
21 multiply profiles in the same 3d space, you know, to be able to say
22 those 300€ for a better monitor were a good price ;-)
23
24 >> In case there is interest I can apply to return as a developer in
25 >> gentoo, will respond to emails this week end (25/26 Feb)
28 > I read this as a offer to help packaging in gentoo. Typical I work with
29 > packagers and like to easen their work. Personally I maintain a openSUSE
30 > colour managed software stack as packager myself and be open for suggestions
31 > or ideas from Fedora and gladly from gentoo as well.
32
33 indeed it's an offer for direct or proxyed help gentoo, a pair of
34 ideas that would help gentoo later
37 > Often it was mentioned to use autotools or cmake. The next soon to be
38 > released rersion of libXcm, one small library, will be autotooled. The
39 > conversion is a hard and time consuming part for me, but we hope to get all
40 > packages converted. Initially I had some help, which was a good kick off.
41
42 unlike the rest of the world I prefer cmake over autotools, but if you
43 need help on autotools I suggest to ask this list, there is a lot of
44 expertise here and packagers are going to fix bug in build system
45 anyway, so better soon than later.
46 Gentoo has good support for quite every build system out there, but
47 yes the two you mentioned are preferred.
48
49 While gentoo is more flexible than binary distro, there is one thing
50 that help them a lot, do releases (possibly often), they need a fixed
51 point to start with, having only a git repository where to pull mean
52 to be a second class cityzen.
53
54 > In case you want to maintain gentoo specific files inside the upstream
55 > packages and keep them up to date, that is possible. I do so with a rpm and
56 > deb make target. Not sure if that makes sense for gentoo.
57
58 I'm quite sure it's not needed, to the opposite, generally those files
59 go out of sync easily and are better mantained by gentoo devs.
62 > The build scripts and a README are linked here:
63 > http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oyranos/git
64 > icc_examin-build-local.sh can be adapted.
65 > As one nice step it would be great, if you can name one or more command
66 > lines to get gentoo ready for building Oyranos and the other parts of the
67 > software stack. So people could test Oyranos from git easily inside gentoo.
68
69 I've the complete oyranos software stack building well in gentoo at
70 the moment (using git) :-)
71
72 >> I'm _not_ offering support for digikam, for which I develop, because I
73 >> would like to mantain a two step verification process
74 >> (developer/packager)
75 >>
76 >> Regards,
77 >> Francesco