From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 13:25:34
1 On 11/08/2014 03:08 AM, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 11/07/2014 07:54 PM, Matthias Maier wrote:
3 >>> Well, you're not comparing like with like. Paludis with "everything
4 >>> turned off" does more than Portage with "everything turned on". If all
5 >>> you're looking for is the wrong answer as fast as possible, there are
6 >>> easier ways of getting it...
7 >>
8 >> The last time I compared the resolver speed of portage and paludis both
9 >> needed almost the same time.
10 >>
11 >> Do you have a speed comparison with a similar feature set of both? (Or,
12 >> alternatively, the speedup one gains by tuning paludis to be as fast as
13 >> possible).
16 > I think you didn't get the idea: it doesn't make much sense to compare
17 > the speed if the correctness differs.
18 >
19 > Also, I don't understand these discussions. The time dependency
20 > resolving takes is marginal compared to the whole update process, no
21 > matter what PM you use.
22 >
23 *ahem*
24
25 On my old notebook, which luckily suicided thanks to Lenovo's built in
26 obsolete device detection ...
27
28 emerge -auNDv world took up to 35 minutes
29
30 So, if something like RUBY_TARGETS or a random useflag changes, it takes
31 me literally DAYS to figure out a valid solution where portage can
32 figure out an upgrade path.
33
34 No, it's not marginal.