From: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How to support C++11 in libraries?
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:50:19
1 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 >> And no, the languages are _not_ "source-incompatible". That would be a
3 >> scandal!
4 >
5 > You might argue about this, but that doesn't change these facts.
6
7 I think nobody had doubts that *theoretical* such examples can
8 be constructed (I even mentioned the case of name collission on
9 which your example builds). The question is how often does this
10 occur in *real-world* projects.
11
12 > does not change the fact that there *is* code out there
13
14 Your example is not "code out there". I would bet that the
15 name collission case hits less than 1% of existing projects.
16 If name collissions would be the only case, it would not even be
17 worth to discuss these things. The more restrictive syntax for
18 string concatenation (mentioned in some bug posted in this thread)
19 is a more realistic issue, but at least in this case, the project
20 has already fixed the problem.
21
22 Again: Numbers are needed; somebody (preferrably somebody with a fast
23 machine, so I am out ;) ) has to try to compile w/test the whole
24 ~x86/~amd64 tree with CXXFLAGS=-std=c++11, and only then one can
25 seriously discuss how "source-incompatible" the languages really are.
26
27 My guess is still that you will observe less problems than with
28 a minor gcc upgrade, but it is only a guess, of course.