From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keep Sunrise... But not Here
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:10:51
1 On 7/31/06, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > That has been discussed, it would not be a technical problem.
3 > One reason this should be avoided is control - as soon as sunrise runs
4 > on non-official hardware (like, say ... hmmm ...
5 > sunrise.gentooexperimental.org) gentoo has no control at all over it.
6 >
7 > Should sunrise have any problems there's no way of pulling the plug!
8
9 Should sunrise have any problems I do doubt it would be necessary to
10 pull the plug... just let the thing implode, in reality if it has
11 problems outside of Gentoo it doesn't affect Gentoo in any way, just
12 like the wiki imploding wouldn't cause any problems for the core
13 Gentoo distro.
14
15 > That's why I think it has to be an official project, especially with the
16 > amount of devs involved.
17
18 What does that have to do with anything? Devs are free to work on any
19 projects they like outside of Gentoo, this would be just another such
20 project.
21
22 > > I know of
23 > > a few websites that are far better qualified for space on Gentoo
24 > > infrastructure than Sunrise (gentoo-portage.com, gentoo-wiki.com).
25 >
26 > That is a completely different discussion for another day ...
27
28 Agree, this was just an example.
29
30 > > If Sunrise becomes a wild success then I would take it back to the
31 > > council for re-inclusion into the Gentoo core, if it bombs nobody gets
32 > > hurt and it stops the shouting on the lists.
33 >
34 > If it bombs you can't kill it on non-gentoo hardware :-)
35
36 See above... who cares?
37
38 > > I think the council should temporarily block the project until it can
39 > > prove that it will stand on its own. Just as we expect developers to
40 > > prove their abilities before they join Gentoo, we should do the same
41 > > thing for projects like this.
42 >
43 > That does not solve any of the perceived issues and removes any
44 > influence gentoo has over the sunrise overlay. I don't see how this
45 > fixes any issues, so I'm against it.
46
47 Well... this would fix everyone being pissy about it "corrupting
48 Gentoo" because it would be outside of the walls of the core distro
49 and would have no effect on it but it would solve the problem of
50 getting "extraneous" ebuilds to interested users faster than the
51 official tree does. This is just my $0.02 as a user but it seems to
52 make a hell of a lot more sense than shouting about how pointless the
53 project is.
54
55 -Mike
59 Michael E. Crute
60 http://mike.crute.org
61
62 I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
63 up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
64 --
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list