From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 18:44:46
1 On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:33:14PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > I recently ran into a REQUIRED_USE constraint that required I select
3 > between berkdb and gdbm for an email client.
4
5 This has now hit stable and is affecting me because I can't upgrade the
6 email client without putting something in package.use.
7
8 > Looking through our profiles, I see we have both berkdb and gdbm
9 > enabled "globally".
10 >
11 > default/linux/make.defaults:USE="berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam
12 > readline ssl tcpd zlib"
13 > releases/make.defaults:USE="acl gdbm nptl unicode"
14 >
15 > Is there any reason to have these USE flags enabled globally?
16 >
17 > These USE seem pretty package-specific in scope. On my system, they
18 > are used by around a dozen of 1000+ installed packages. I think it
19 > might make sense to migrate them to appropriate IUSE defaults, or
20 > leave them disabled where they do not provide critical functionality.
21
22 I'm with floppym on this one. Is there a specific reason we enable them
23 globally?
24
25 Since there has been so little discussion on this thread, I will start
26 looking at what I need to do to remove these use flags from the
27 profiles.
28
29 Thanks,
30