From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 09:13:40
1 On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
7 >
8 > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable,
9 > precompiled
10 > packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package
11 > hosting.
12 > Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "
13 >
14 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
15 >
16 > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
17 > page.
18 >
19 > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point
20 > of
21 > the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
22 > concerned about
23 > * what configurations should we use
24 > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
25 > signing and verification)
26 > * how should hosting look like
27 > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into
28 > production"
29 > * ...
30 >
31 > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
32 >
33 > Cheers,
34 > Andreas
35 >
36 > --
37 > Andreas K. Hüttel
38 > dilfridge@g.o
39 > Gentoo Linux developer
40 > (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)
45 What level of collaboration can be anticipated with non-official overlays?
46
47 E.g. Embedded systems such as Raspberry Pi, are particularly well
48 positioned to benefit from binhosting. There is a project (which I am
49 contributing to) which aims to provide an installable image and limited
50 binhosting for the 64bit Raspberry Pi boards
51
52 See this forum post for more details:
53 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1098232-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-325.html