From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unverifiable GPG keys for @gentoo.org members
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 04:00:33
1 On 05/12/20 01:24, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu pon, 11.05.2020 o godzinie 20∶20 -0400, użytkownik Aisha Tammy
3 > napisał:
4 >> Hi devs@,
5 >> Seems like for some reason the gentoo.org does not publish the
6 >> gpg public keys of the senders, even though it is signed correctly.
7 >
8 > Why do you claim that? How did you verify it? Why are you jumping
9 > straight to passive-aggressive accusations without asking nicely first?
10 >
11 That last question could very much be asked of you because of your
12 asking it of them. They needed information, at least some of which you
13 did give, not clutching of pearls and baseless protestations of offense.
16 >> Just wanted to know why the devs are required to use gpg keys, glep63
17 >> [1]
18 >> but even when the server has the public keys, they aren't published
19 >> properly.
20 >>
21 >> From a proper security perspective, I would have though something
22 >> like WKD[2] would have been implemented on the server side for
23 >> automated
24 >> authentication.
25 >
26 > WKD is implemented and I don't know a single case where it wouldn't
27 > work. If it doesn't work for you, then I dare say it's more likely to
28 > be a problem with your setup. However, if it's a problem on our end,
29 > I'd really appreciate a bug report before calling us retarded.
30 >
31 Given that they did not call anyone any names, retarded or otherwise,
32 one could make the case that you are making a personal attack against
33 them by smearing them and their postings; at best that hurts your
34 argument as a supposedly affronted party. So, please, try to not
35 construct offense out of whole cloth to be performatively perturbed at;
36 it serves no purpose beyond making the lists less useful due to
37 increased noise and making social norms in Gentoo (especially on the
38 lists) that much less congenial.
39
40 > In fact, the link you've posted actually lists gentoo.org as one
41 > of the few organizations implementing WKD.
44 >> Maybe I am missing something about how to verify the keys of the
45 >> maintainers
46 >> who are sending announcements but it irks me a teensy bit when i have
47 >> signed
48 >> mails and I can't ~~trust~~ verify the signatures.
52 > You are missing that WKD does not provide authentication, and if it
53 > were, it would be considered thoroughly insecure. Authentication
54 > in OpenPGP is generally provided via web of trust. For Gentoo
55 > developers, you can also use our Authority Keys [3,4,5].
58 >> [1]
59 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Generating_GLEP_63_based_OpenPGP_keys
60 >> [2] https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKD
61 >